10/24/08

And Thats the End of That.



As per usual, its been ages since we blogged. But then, a lot has been happening I guess, perhaps its a good thing that we don't often have time to write?

Life has been ad nausium dramatic. Last week, on Wednesday, I finally tracked down my boss after eight weeks of not seeing her. Since my contract at work was up for renewal on Friday, I was pretty determined to pin her down for a chat re: visas etc. We had figured that worst case scenario with the whole situation would be that Si and I would have to marry to get me on his hosting agreement so that I could stay in Ireland - not much of a worst case scenario!! But alas, turned out that following the government budget on the tuesday, two of our biggest projects (which were commissioned by the government) had been withdrawn. Instead of the increase in work that previously justified an increase in staff, everything had turned on its tail and justified naught but a decrease in all things good - including staff. So, my contract was not to be renewed. I cried and cried and cried, making a right fool of myself but also inducing the fury of the entire environmental cohort towards the management of my role. I had two days notice.

I was gutted, though now we are planning the next step of our journey and it looks like it might just be the best thing thats happened to us. Its rather exciting not knowing whats going to happen...!!

In hindsight, I think I was fairly well taken advantage of, despite the good experience I got. I was paid minimally for three months - which I only tolerated because I was told this would be renegotiated in October. Yes, there were a whole lot of general hours clocked up, mostly because work wasnt distibuted. I was also told that it was clear by the general hours that there wasn't enough work, which begs me to wonder why I was employed in the first place.

Anyway, I was told that our office would break my spirit. It did. But now I'm moving on...

No comments: